Thursday, August 25, 2011

Birthday Blessings

With each passing birthday, I can't help but notice how many people get discouraged with another digit added on that signifies how many years they've been on this earth.   I was one of those people, thinking I didn't want to "grow old".   I loathed the fact of getting older, and most of the time would do everything in my power to try and avoid it, to"stay young"....I will forever be 29!  It wasn't until January that my perception started to change a bit.

When I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, I was immediately put through a series of test to find out how much fluid was on board, and what my heart was pumping out (That's called an ejection fraction, or EF).  One of the first doctors assigned to my case was a young man, probably not much older than I, with an amazingly HORRIBLE attitude.  He was with a group of Doctors, but for the most part I only met with him.  He began testing immediately and after several blood tests and chest x-rays, many EKG's, and  Echocardiograms, I was told I had an EF of only 10%.  (Normal is 50 - 70%).  He told me the chances of getting my EF above 12% would be nearly impossible.  The "Dr" also told me that if I had any type of surgery where I was put under, that I would never wake up.  The very next day I had the Head Cardiologist at Kennesaw take me to surgery, put me under, and did an angiogram.
At that very moment I thought I would die.

This year, my birthday wasn't about birthday wishes, but about all the many Birthday Blessings.... and I have so many to be thankful for!  Yesterday, I turned 38 and I embraced the day with a very different attitude.  I am so grateful to be alive!  I am blessed to have a wonderful husband who loves me, and has been by my side through so much!  I am so appreciative of my Mother and Mother-in-law, who have given me so much love and support, and to my friends, who have shown me that I will always have a shoulder to lean on, I am Blessed!  Blessed beyond belief...

I look forward to celebrating many more birthdays, and celebrating life everyday.  I want to grow old with Darren and watch our boys grow up.  I want to experience our kids falling in love and getting married.  I want grandchildren and great grand children.  I want to tell my story over Thanksgiving dinner with a table full of family!

Although I still don't want to look or act old, I will cherish each and every birthday I get the pleasure of celebrating.  May God Bless you, and grant you many Birthday Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I truely share the joy that God has given you to continue living and be part of this crazy family. Your stories can definately take over the Thansgiving table (even over grapes and carrots!!) I love you so much and you encourage me to find strength and courage through God our Creator!!
    Darla

    ReplyDelete