Thursday, June 23, 2011

Is the Lung Half Empty or Half Full?

Just a quick note to say Hi, and thank you for all the many thoughts, prayers, well wishes, and messages.  It will be 6 weeks tomorrow since surgery, and I am feeling better and stronger everyday.  My drive line is still trying to heal up, and causes me the most pain on a daily basis. Because we have to change the bandage daily, the area around the line gets wet, then we have to bandage it back up, which causes it to stick to the drive line area.  So....when that happens, it feels like someone is burning my skin, YIKES!!  (So there, I'm done complaining now).

I have the wonderful pleasure of my mom staying with me 24/7, and since all this has happened, we have been extremely blessed to have her.  She is an amazing person, that words can not even begin to describe.  Last night I had the opportunity to sit with Mom and Darren quietly and listen to funny stories of me in the hospital while on Morphine.  Now, while I was in the ICU, we discovered after about the 3rd day, that I was allergic to Morphine, due to cat like claw marks from my waist down to my toes.  In the ICU, we found out they wouldn't allow cats, so we chalked it up to ME clawing myself, which in turn made for several uncomfortable days.  (Just a few more funny statements from me on morphine and I'll get  to the lung thing, I promise).  While in the I CU, on the most evil drug morphine, I told Darren I had won the lottery, I was reading books, and eating lots of food.  I told my Mom we needed to go to a huge party, and we were going to be late, I turned imaginary pages of my imaginary books I was reading in my sleep, and I kept searching for her to feed me, all while sleeping.  I would wake up and tell them I was just pretending.  HA!!  They really thought I was funny, but didn't laugh at me until last night.  (Thank you Darren and Mom).  

Now to the lung thing.... I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow for a follow-up, where they have scheduled another chest x-ray.  I am praying, and needing all of your prayers, that the fluid in my left lung is no longer half full. Unfortunately, if there is still fluid, I will probably be admitted into the hospital, where they will insert either a chest tube or extremely long needle into my back through my lung to drain it.  Now at this point in my life, I am really over enduring pain, and from what I've been told, it's going to be painful. (If anyone know differently, PLEASE let me know). I will be able to give more information on my lung tomorrow.  Just wanted to let everyone know I need a few more prayers to ease some pain.  Thanks again to all of you for your support and many prayers.  I really couldn't do this as easily without you.  God Bless all of you, and I'll talk to you soon.  

Monica

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about having the fluid drained. Go to YouTube and do a search "draining fluid from lung" and watch the one posted by jjock that starts with the word "thoracentesis" in the title. Sorry, but I can't figure out how to post the link here for you. Email me if you can't find it. Anyway, watch it and you'll see it'll be a piece of cake. Thinking about you every day.

    ReplyDelete