Saturday, January 21, 2012

One Year

Oh how things can change in one year! This time last year I was suffering from Heart Failure and didn't even know it.  I had nose bleeds, insomnia, rattling in my chest and it was very difficult to breath.  It wasn't until so much fluid had accumulated in my lungs , that even sitting upright was difficult to take a breath, did I finally decide I should go to the ER.  I remember when the doctor came out and said I was suffering from Congestive Heart Failure.  I didn't even know what that meant!  Was I dying?  What was going to happen to Darren and the boys?  How could a person my age have CHF,  I thought that was only for "old" people? 
One year later, and I'm wondering about a whole set of other questions.  How many medicines can I take to improve my heart function?  How long do the Dr.'s really think I will have this LVAD?  What kind of test are out there to lower my antibodies?  Can I go back on the transplant list?  Hopefully some of those questions will be answered Monday at my clinic visit.

Thursday I received a call from the Emory Coumadin Clinic.  They are in charge of adjusting my coumadin levels to help with preventing blood clots.  Coumadin is a blood thinner I take everyday, and most likely will take as long as I'm alive.  I started taking Coumadin before my surgery in May, and now my blood INR levels (to read more about INR, click here ) are supposed to be in a range of 1.8 - 2.0.  That range is a VERY small window, and very difficult to maintain.  I have to go into the clinic or the hospital to have my levels checked sometimes 2 times a week.  When Emory called me, they said my level was 1.4, and I needed to go the following morning to have it rechecked.  The recheck came back as 1.5, so I'm still too thick. 
I spoke to the VAD clinic yesterday, and they prescribed me Lovenox.  Lovenox is an injection that I must administer to myself, however that is absolutely impossible.  There is no way I can give myself a shot, so Darren is having to do it.  Now... the actual injection does not hurt, however the push of the medicine feels like fire going through my stomach.  See the pictures below.... Can you tell where the injections were? 

6 comments:

  1. ohhhh monica i am so sorry ~ and you cant rub the injection site :( bless your heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica those injections are not fun. I have had to take them on more than one ocation and they always leave bruseing around the site. When I took them I was told to put them in alternating order on one side or the other of my bellie button.when I first started I could not give myself the injections but over time I got so I could. I still have some of the shots left from this last spring when I last took them. I hope you don"t have to stay on them long. I hope you have good insurance my last batch cost $900.00. and that will put a tailspin on a fixed budget. Here's to you r speedy recovery. Prayers :-)

    John Young

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the extra (and painful) treatments. I know these are just temporary, God has a plan for You!

    Kevin Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I am very sorry for all the health issues you have had. Please if you could email me!! bre644@gmail.com
    My father who has had 2 open heart surgeries is being rec for this procedure. Just have some questions

    ReplyDelete
  5. ‘बिग बॉस 10’ के घर में हुआ कांड, मोनालिसा हुईं प्रेग्‍नेंट
    Read More TodayNews18.com https://goo.gl/ke3iWr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete